Friday, July 30, 2010

July 21, 2010

Was full of surprises.  Surprise number one was being woken up by Madelynn at 4:45 to start our day.  She was ready to go, and so up and at 'em we were.  I had a doctor appointment scheduled for 9:00 that morning, and because Kevin didn't have to be at work until 12:00, he was staying at home with Madelynn.  I had to wait for a while while in the waiting room, which really wasn't a surprise.  I think I got into my appointment at about quarter after nine.  Then came surprise number two.  The doctor told me that I was dilated to a five and that he recommended me being induced that day.  He said I would probably go into labor on my own with in the next day or two and this way the timing was under our control (this is appealing to me) and it lessened the risk of infection.  So, I quickly called Kevin.  He was napping with Maddy, and I am certain that my news was a shock to him.  I rattled off a list of things that needed to be added to our hospital suitcase and that needed to be sent with Maddy to my Mom's.  Then I called mom and asked her to meet Kevin in Highland to pick up Maddy and the dogs.  She too was surprised.  I made a quick stop into visit my friend from high school, Annie, and her new daughter Addison and then stopped at the nurses desk to check in.

The nurse's aide took me into my labor and delivery room and gave me the lovely hospital gown to change into and got me hooked up to the monitors.  I was busy answering text messages and checking in with Kevin.  The nurse came in a little later and took more of my information.  It seemed to take Kevin forever to get to the hospital while I was alone thinking about the events that were about to take place.  My labor and delivery with Maddy was a long one, and I was hoping that this wasn't going to be a repeat of that experience. 

Shortly after Kevin arrived, Dr. Hulsen broke my water. That was at 12:30 and just six short hours later, our beautiful Emma Lynn Luitjohan arrived weighing 7 pounds 3 ounces and measuring 19 inches long.  She was born two and a half weeks early and weighed just 6 ounces less than her sister did at full term.  Thankfully, her labor and delivery were much smoother and shorter than that of Maddy's.  I'll post more pictures of
Emma and Maddy later in the weekend, but here are a couple of Kevin and I with our new daughter while in the hospital.


Isn't she beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!!!!!!!!! What a dolly. Look at all the hair! I see hair accessories in her near future.

    ReplyDelete