Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Part One - Christmas Eve

Christmas is a very busy time of year for us.  We usually have at least four events in two days time, and this year we had six events in three days.  I always feel badly because we aren't able to spend a lot of time at any one place.  I know that everyone wants to see us, okay really Maddy and Emma, and unfortunately we only have a short amount of time in each spot in order to be able to see everyone for Christmas.  I realize, that this really is more of a blessing than a problem.  We have so many people that we love and care about and who love and care about us, that the two days of holiday are a whirlwind of food, family, and fun. 

So, part one of Christmas for us is Christmas Eve.  We spend Christmas Eve with my immediate family, and this year, my Aunt and Uncle from Wisconsin were able to join us.  We have a tradition on Christmas Eve, that we stand in front of the tree in our Christmas best for pictures.  Lindsey and I did this every single year growing up, and now our families get to join in on the fun.

Our family of four.
 I liked both of these pictures of the four of us, so I posted both.
 MawMaw and PawPaw with Maddy and Emma
 Dave and Lindsey are not posed in front of the tree, but since Dave really doesn't like having his picture taken, we cut him some slack. 
 We also eat yummy appetizers on Christmas Eve and then open presents.
Maddy was very into opening gifts on Christmas Eve.  In fact she pretty much opened every one's gifts.
Here she has just unwrapped the mailbox Daddy got for our new house.  I don't think she thought it was as fun as all of the gifts she received.
 Emma got a soft book, and she spent most of the evening on Uncle Dave's lap checking it out.
We end the night, by attending church as a family.  This is my absolute favorite part of the entire Christmas season.  Especially when we are able to attend the candlelight service at midnight.  It is the quiet amongst the storm of activity over the two days.  We sit, sing, pray, and listen to the story of what these two days are really all about.  As Maddy says, "Happy Birthday Baby Jesus"!

No comments:

Post a Comment